Monday, July 18, 2011

Dog Days Are Here!

The next three days will be consisting of dogs. I have a comic in the works where my main character has a dog so I need the practice and also, man's best friend seemed like a natural stepping stone to bigger things.
Also would have accepted Man's best fart excuse, but it just doesn't have the same ring.
My family has pretty much always had a dog or dogs so I'm familiar with some of the shapes. There were only rare times where we didn't have a Rascal, or Pepper, or Major outside or inside, or, in other words very little times where we didn't take them with us everywhere via fur on our clothing.

Like you didn't already know.

Out of domestic animals, dogs are the best. If I ever had to choose a pet from a hamster, cat, or dog, I'd choose the dog. But I don't want a dog anymore. Sadly, I've recently come to the conclusion that I will never want to own a dog ever in my adult life. The details and facts are many and I will not disclose them with you in lieu of boring you.

It was mainly this. All over the floor.

Maybe I'll change my mind. As I know, it can change like the seasons. But until that time comes I'll stick to drawing them and looking at pictures. Anyways, lets get back on topic! Dogs, dogs,......right. Today we will start with an old staple of dog lovers: the beagle.
 Beagles, similar to the Foxhound, are an old breed and they and their ancestors have been pictured and painted for ages since they were officially bred in the 1830s in Britain and before then. They track small game like rabbits and hares and are the ideal dog for families, scenting and animal testing as well.
 There are actually two separate varieties recognized by the American Kennel Club in accordance to height. Beagles are actually more popular here than they are in the UK, where they were first bred.

 Famous beagles:
  • Snoopy
  • Shiloh
  • Odie (he's a beagle?)
  • HMS Beagle (the boat Darwin rode in)
  • That one dog from Cats & Dogs
All three above drawings were done in Pse. I tried different ways to start each one, such as using underlying shapes, lines, and just diving in and starting. The fun thing on all of them was the fur and trying to give it a, well "fuzzy" look. Next time I'll try to get some more poses, but the ones I liked were really limited. Until then, see you guys tomorrow!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment